Our History

Starting with a handful of dedicated people that met in a log cabin 173 years ago, First Baptist Church of DeKalb is the oldest continuously functioning congregation in the DeKalb community. It was started in 1844 when a small group of Christians met in a log cabin to plan for the church. The first meeting led to the formation of The Baptist church of Union Grove (later to become DeKalb). The early church met in a school until 1855. Since those early years, the First Baptist Church building has been enlarged or remodeled on several occassions as the needs of the membership and size of the congregation have changed.

 

Timeline

1844
Baptist Church formed 

1855
First church build was built 

1885
Present brick sanctuary was erected 

1924
Fireside and upper rooms added 

1930
First observance of Home Day 

1944
100th Anniversary 

1952
"Sunday School of the Air" program began 

1967
Fellowship Hall and Education wing added 

1985
Church tower renovation 

1996
Sanctuary renovated 

2004
160th Anniversary 

2009
165th Anniversary – With Special Guest Dr. Jerry Cain, President, Judson University